Sunday, July 29, 2012

Tutorial and Pattern: Wrap Strap Bag!

Ok :-) the tutorial and my first ever printable PDF pattern is HERE!!




Happy making!! I cant wait to see what you guys do!!

Edit 3pm 29/07 ... ok I just realised long time readers of this blog may not 'get' this bag, lol, it had wraparound straps which make it easier to use when you're carrying a baby in a sling.  And if you're carrying your baby on your front you can thread the straps through the side loops and tie together at the bottom to wear as a backpack!

the idea is not unique to this bag, but this bag is constructed very differently to other babywearing bags, with a view to making it easier for people to DIY at home :-)

EDIT 7/8/12
The eagle eyed among you will notice that this bag has side loops similar to the popular Onbag. If you've ever attempted to make an Onbag you will be able to see that the construction of this bag is entirely different.

Advantages of this bag/tutorial over the Onbag/tutorial

  • This bag has separate straps 'pieces' this means that the whole bag can be made out of 1 metre outer and 1 - 1-1 1/4 metre of lining fabric - this is substantially less than Onbag which requires you to make the strap, bag base and body out of a 3.5m length). 
  • This bag comes with a full printable PDF pattern. This will help you ensure you cut exactly the right shapes to construct your bag. It will also make the bag easier to make for experienced sewists who are used to using paper patterns.
  • This bag comes with a full printable PDF photo tutorial. There's also a full collection 65 of work-in-progress pics over at my flickr to guide you through every step of the way.
  • This bag comes with a zip closure as standard. Fully explained in the tutorial, no meed to worry about sewing it, or keeping your belongings secure when out and about!
  • This bag is designed for DIY'ers. All you need to put this together is a sewing machine that does a regular straight stitch and a zipper foot. No endless rolled hems, promise!





14 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this with other babywearing Mamas! I plan on cutting my bag out tomorrow and hopefully sewing this weekend. I'll send pics when I'm done. I love your version of a wrap bag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this bag, thanks for sharing! Do you think its possible to scale down the pattern for a slightly smaller version?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see no reason why not? you should be able to do it in printer settings when you're printing it out :-D

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to make mine! How much interfacing do I need?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you may not see this, but I hope so because I want to try it! What weight interfacing would I need?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please check the links. I read the other night and it's not working today..x

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wide is the fabric you used please, Samantha 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question! About ,1.5m, some expensive quilting cotton is much narrower. As is wrap fabric, so watch for that x

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would it be possible to add a front flap like this? Just wondering where you might sew it into. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/7b/89/1e/7b891e2b39408f0f938748c76e70f038.jpg or https://www.pinterest.com/pin/130815564148986938/ thanks! I am planning on using woven wrap fabric so I thought it would be a cool addition. Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy I found this! I have been wanting a wrap bag but don't like most designs, this is simple and beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am noting some trouble when printing. The 5x5 test square is measuring 4.5" x 5.25". Any suggestions for offsetting and getting it to 5"x5"?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, thanks for sharing. Just to make sure before buying fabric: 1 metre outer fabric and - to be on the save side - 1.25 metre lining fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! Such a nice bag! Hoping to get access to the pattern and tutorial soon:)
    Can this bag also be used as a backpack under baby's bum when carrying in a wrap on the back?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete